Thursday, November 13, 2008

day372

hello America.
i'm running out of things to write.
so....
if you have any questions i'm here to answer them.
after all, i made this blog for you.

i'm afraid i have to take the novel off the net.
it's illogical to keep it there where someone can copy and paste and say it's their's.
i want to sell it.
and that 's sorta impossible if someone else does it first.

this kenya place is really boring.
especailly when you stay home for almost a whole week like i have.
you see.
it's like this.
when you send money late, it get's somewhere late.
and in my case the money's a whole week late.
and it;s for school.
i think that someone in my shoes would be rejoicing.
probably screaming,
"NO SCHOOL, NO SCHOOL!"
but actually i'm screaming,
"I'M MISSING TESTS, I'M FALLING BEHIND!"
everything bad happens to me in kenya.

i keep several pictures in my bedroom of my American friends and family.
so one day my housegirl is ironing and sees a picture of my bro.
"This is who?" she said.
"That's my brother," i replied.
she was quiet for a few moments, just looking at the picture.
then she said, "He is very smart, but he has a big head."
and she keeps on ironing.
it was hilarious.

["smart" in kenya and Britain means handsome]

my housegirl is really nice.
she does everything for me.
cleans
irons
cooks.
and man is she a great cook.
but i miss my mom's classic "rice and chicken"
and the "nyama choma" friday nights at my house.
[nyama choma literally means, "burnt meat" in swahili. i have a firepit in my backyard where my dad wraps meat in aluminum foil and puts it over the fire. with just the right amount of salt it's delicious.]
i have nyama choma here in kenya but not as frequently.

as i said a while ago, i know a little swahili.
here's a basic conversation:
"Sema."[hey, say what's up]
"Poa."[it's good]

well...the beginning of a coversation.

and here's a little vocabulary:
tefadthali-please
karibu-welcome
asanti-thank you
mama-mom
baba-dad
dada-sister
caca-brother
hi na hio-this and that
ona-look
nataka-i want
naenda-i am going
pamoja-together
siku-day
kesho-tomorrow
jana-yesterday
leo-today
sasa-now

well....
i'm going now.
to play hookey some more i guess.
i never thought i'd say this but....
i miss school.

later.



1 comment:

  1. Hey Bryan -
    Good post! What are your favorite foods there in Kenya?
    Peace,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete